A modality is a type of electrical, thermal or mechanical energy that causes physiological changes.
It is used to relieve pain, improve circulation, decrease swelling, reduce muscle spasm, and deliver medication in conjunction with other procedures. Typical types of modalities include electrical muscle stimulation, ultrasound, heat, ice, and traction.
The facilities at Alliance Health Company are well equipped with the staff and technology necessary to carry out such modalities. Here are some of the modalities we offer:
- High frequency sound waves that produce a form of deep tissue heating
- For relief of pain and muscle spasm
- Promotes circulation
- Relaxes tight muscles/soft tissue – prepares tissues for stretching
- Use of different forms of electrical current through surface electrodes that cause muscles to contract and relax
- For relief of muscle spasm, pain and swelling
- For muscle re-education and strengthening
- A longitudinal pull or distraction of spinal segments for the relief of nerve irritation (radicultis) or muscle spasm by use of a machine on the cervical (neck) spine with the use of a neck halter or lumbar (low back) spine with the use of a pelvic belt attached to a patient lying down
- Can also be done manually
Transcutaneous Nerve Stimulation (TENS)
- Use of low voltage electrical current through surface electrodes that overrides the sensation of pain
- Small unit (slightly larger than a beeper) worn throughout the day for pain control that the patient can apply a needed
Moist Heat (Hydrocollator)
- Produces a deeper heat than a dry heating pad
- Increases circulation, reduces swelling, relaxes muscles/soft tissue, prepares tissue for other treatments
- Use of “ice packs” or “ice massage” in acute injuries and for pain relief (acute or chronic)
- Reduces swelling, inflammation, muscles spasm
- A form of heat using paraffin wax and mineral oil
- Usually applied to hands or feet where other applications of heat are difficult
If you live in Puerto Rico and are need of effective and responsible physical therapy, Alliance Health Company can help.
Related articles: Physical Therapy, Low Back Pain, Neck and Shoulder Pain, Sprain and Strain, Physical Examinations, Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, Musculoskeletal Pain, Tennis Elbow, Inflammation, Chronic Pain, Knee Problems, Tendinitis, Physical Exercise, Spinal Disc Disorders, Physiatrists, Environmentally Friendly, OWCP Accepted Providers. Arthritis.